Monday, December 21, 2015

MY OWN WEBSITE




The website project wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. Maybe because my teacher did all of the coding for us and we just had to fill in the blanks. During my time at NCCC, I made a website from scratch, placing the codes and links myself and I remember that giving me a headache. Making a website is a lot of work and it takes time and patience. In my opinion, building a house would probably be easier and less stressful.

When I saw the example website that was presented in class, I began to think of a layout I wanted to do. I wanted something that would represent a style of an educated gentleman. I knew I wanted my picture in the middle of my page of off to the left side of the page. I wanted something different than what people usually do. I wanted to stand out. Standing out and doing something different can make people who visits my page, remember my page. I wanted to make my profile picture stand to the left of the page. Normally most people have their profile picture to the right of the page. I just wanted to be different than everybody else. There is nothing wrong with that. I begin to think of cover pictures that I would want to upload and a profile picture. I knew that both pictures needed to be as professional as possible and something that strongly represents me. I immediately thought of a black and white photo I recently took of myself in a suit with a “fashionable” tie. For my cover picture, I chose a picture of myself looking off to the sunset.

Putting a biography lets the web visitors know a little more bit about myself and about my career goals. I just talked about my birth place, my parents, my hometown, and my future plans. I included my educational history (high school and college graduation dates). This could be helpful for any job that would be interested in hiring me just because I took a class or interned somewhere.  Also included on my website is a link for my blog site. Having this can let companies see that I have the ability to create and write a blog and also see that I know how to link websites from one internet page to another. It would have been helpful to have professional social media sites such as Linkin, Facebook and Twitter (considering that is one of the major ways people get their news). That is something that I can work on in the future. Adding those sites is a way that different people can take a deeper look at my scholar work.

This website could be used as newer version of a portfolio. The website had my contact information, which was at the bottom on every web page and on the contact page. The contact information included my email address, phone number, and my social media sites (with links to the only one I had available). The website also included projects that I have did in this class and others. This shows off the work that I can do. I uploaded my resume, posters, and a brochure I created. These images were saved in a .jpg format and in a .pdf format. When I uploaded these images, many of the images were set at weird unusual sizes. Just like indesign and illustrator, holding the shift key and dragging the edge of the picture will move the image size. OR you could go onto the code side of the page and change the size the width and height by entering the correct size that may suit the size of the image. I found this easier than readjusting the image size manually. Another thing I came across while uploading images is that I could add a table (to add images) and delete tables (when I didn’t have any images to add). When uploading these images, you do need to back them up twice to the file that you placed then under. And if you want to have your pictures come up as PDF format once in the web browser, then you need to back it up for the third time.   


Now that I made my own website, I can use this as a portfolio to have people view my work and my education history. Since my teacher made this project easy in a way (since all I had to do was just copy and paste links in) I do believe that if I had the website pre-done for me, I can change things up and make it the way I want it to be .                          

No comments:

Post a Comment